But No New Youth Jail organizers maintain that halting construction with any facility with detention beds is the most immediate way to advance that goal. Last week, the coalition delivered a letter asking for a moratorium on construction.
In a statement Monday afternoon, Constantine said that he read the letter and is “aware of the activities at the Children and Family Justice Center.”
“We continue to invite all those interested in youth welfare and juvenile justice to join a full dialogue with King County and our community partners as we do the difficult work to further reduce the number of youth in detention,” Constantine continued. “I do not believe keeping kids in the current decrepit and disrespectful facility is the right solution. Moving young people to adult jail also takes us in the wrong direction. In fact, I issued an Executive Order directing that all young people charged as adults be moved to the juvenile facility so that they can receive more age-appropriate services and programming.”
Constantine said the county will continue “a public health approach to support youth and families before, during, and after they are involved with the justice system,” and announced an upcoming debate on the project to air on the Seattle Channel.
The project, which has an estimated cost of $210 million, is estimated to be completed in 2020.
This article has been updated to update the protest’s timing and to add a statement from King County Executive Dow Constantine.